Friday, July 29, 2011

My Blogger Friend

"I ka 'ôlelo no ke ola"

Translation:  In the language or word is life

Our last night on the island....what a sight!


In June, I mentioned that I had a very "WOW" experience.

We had travelled to the East Coast to witness our nephew (my husband's sister's oldest son) graduating from high school.  He is the first of the youngest generation of our family.

I have known my sister-in-law and her husband for 17 years now.  
I always remembered that her husband's family was of Hawaiian descent. It always interested me because I grew up looking at the uli-uli's and my mother's ukulele from the time when she lived on Hawaii and took Hula dance classes.

The Hula Dancers at the Luau


  My grandfather was stationed there in the early sixties and my uncle was born there.  

I would dream of what a life on a island far away would be like.


Waterfall on the Road to Hana


For the past 17 years, I also have heard about Roni.  
My brother-in-law's sister.  Most of the conversations involved the amount of boys in our family (her 3, my sister-in-law 4, and now myself 4...WHO HAS THAT MANY BOYS IN THEIR FAMILY!)  
Other conversations included how much my sister-in-law loved her!

What I didn't know? 

Oh, so much!  I didn't know that we were, in many ways, kindred spirits!

I remember talking during the visit about how I really was practicing my photography skills with the new book I purchased.  I, of course, do not pretend to be a professional.
Of course, Roni's husband mentioned that Roni is a photographer.  It came out that I was just trying to improve for my blog.  My sister-in-law is a bit of a follower and said she enjoyed my blog.

Then it came out...Roni is a blogger too!  We started discussing blogger speak.  What do you use?  Have you thought of switching? How long have you had it?  Summertime being a slower blog time.  It was like blogger heaven!!

Then, of course, blog spot URLs exchanged.  Off to our perspective hotels, and of course, checking each others blogs, right?

I was flabbergasted and ashamed. 

Her blog is about taking photographs using Macro.  I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY.  Her photos are absolutely gorgeous.  What a joke my photos are! Ha!!

You have to check out her blog HERE.

FROM HER COLLECTION....This is with her camera....HER CAMERA!!!!!
 
  Better yet?  She is an unbelievable writer!
 Her style is so smooth and enjoyable and DEEP!

And I particularly enjoy her choices of music that she finds inspiration from.

And to make the world a bit more smaller?

She is a babyloss mom.  There was a huge hug between us as we bid each other goodbye at the end of the weekend.  If ever I am her way again, I would love to hang out with her for awhile!

For my baby loss moms, the post HERE is her story.

Please go visit her....

After our trip to Maui, I have to believe that the spirit of Pele has gifted her with an amazing talent!
 

2 comments:

Roni said...

Heidi, I remember sitting in that hotel room late at night after all the festivities were done, reading your blog in bed with the tears just streaming down my face. I feel so lucky to have finally met you and can't believe we didn't cross paths before 17 years rolled by! You are someone I would have easily chosen as a friend, even if we weren't sort of technically "family." :)
I love what I do and have been so blessed. And clearly, you love what you do and you are blessing so many others, many who are hurting ... because of that. I think it's so admirable. I'm sure it doesn't always feel that way. But I am as enthralled by your talent with a sewing machine as you are by mine with a camera! And hey! I think your pictures are beautiful but I can't sew a stitch to save my life! Maybe, because of you..that will change someday.
Keep on doing what you do so well, Heidi. And I'm so glad you share it with us, because the beauty of it is immeasurable by numbers or blog statistics. I believe there is great healing and power in words and with actions to match...wow. Imagine what you can do!
I wish you big gobs of peace and mugs and mugs of hugs.:) Thank you for the beautiful post. It means a lot to me.
And as an aside? That sister in law is someone I love very much too. It warmed my heart to read that. xo

Holly said...

That is sooooooo amazing!!!!!